2,008 Houses in Banjar, South Kalimantan Submerged due to a 3-Meter-High Flood
Date: January 13, 2022
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Severe floodings of up to three meters in Banjar Regency, South Kalimantan Province, submerged at least 2,008 houses on Wednesday, Jan. 12.
The Banjar Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) reported on Wednesday night that other than Pengaron, Simpang Empat sub-district was still flooded with a water level reaching 70 centimeters.
At least 2,215 families were affected and 3,727 residents from eight villages in Pengaron sub-district were evacuated.
The Head of Banjar BPBD, Muhamad Irwan Kumar, said that the flood emergency alert status had been set following the rising water level at the monitoring point in the upstream area of the Riam Kiwa River.
"People living in flood-prone areas are asked to be vigilant given potential rains in the next few days," Kumar said.
Meanwhile, Commander of the 101/Antasari Military Resort Command (Korem) Brigadier General Firmansyah said personnel and supporting facilities had been mobilized to assist in the evacuation of residents affected by the flooding.
"I have ordered the 1006/Banjar Kodim (District Military Command) and surrounding units to go out into the field. The TNI (Indonesian Military) must be present in the midst of disasters but still coordinate with BPBD as the commander in flood mitigation," said Firmansyah.